At The Coop

At The Coop

Thursday, April 23, 2015

I Love Brains...

          I love brains...not the way that zombies love brains, although I can't really say because as far as I know I have never eaten them. (I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to have to try brains and eggs, but that day hasn't arrived yet. It's not even in the foreseeable future.) No, I love brains. Human brains that function at a high level.
          I enjoy intelligent discussion with my friends, both in real life and online, as long as it doesn't get too dry. I don't want to feel like I'm conversing with (or being lectured to by) a textbook. I also enjoy lowbrow humor. It's allowed, and probably even expected, since I have that Y chromosome calling the shots.
          My wife is smart. My kids are brilliant (of course). I always tell people that my kids got their brains from their mom, who was smart enough to say "yes" when I asked her to marry me. Smartass...that's smart, right?
          My favorite songwriters are all people who I feel like function at a fairly high intellectual level. Songs that are gloriously stupid, like "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" can still be entertaining, although I usually prefer to listen to something like "Brains" (keeping with my theme) by David Olney. Plain old stupid songs like most of those currently found on the "country" charts aren't worth the time it takes to listen to them.
          Television (especially network television) is beneath my comprehension level, even though I do watch it for entertainment from time to time. I don't plan my life around it, and I don't think I could carry on a conversation with anyone who does. That being said, I'd rather watch a Netflix series like "Marvel's Daredevil" than Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series. Usually when I watch television, it's for (mostly) brain-dead entertainment and not for edification.
           I'd rather read John Steinbeck than Stephenie Meyer. Draw your own conclusions.
          I love it when I meet someone and I can tell by the look in their eyes that the wheels are turning. The wheels are turning, and not only is the hamster not dead, there's a bit of extra hamster in there. Not too many extra hamsters. Those people are scary. Just enough extra hamster to make the light shine a little brighter. Maybe a hamster on steroids...without the rage. I can definitely do without rage. Fire is fine. Inferno is not.
         There is a lot to be said for intelligence, especially when it is paired with rationality. College "educated" people who prefer to wallow in ignorance are the worst. If someone has limited mental capacities, it can be sad (though not always), but willful ignorance really annoys me. An intelligent mind involved in intellectual pursuits is downright sexy.
         All this writing (and thinking) has made me hungry...
...but not that hungry.
         What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment