At The Coop

At The Coop

Friday, July 11, 2014

Jambalaya!!!


     It's my understanding that Jambalaya is "dirty" rice, flavored with pretty much whatever you want to put in it...so that's how I make it. Although each batch has its similarities, it's different every time I make it. It depends on what's in the fridge and/or the garden.
     I usually start by browning some sliced sausage links (I use turkey) in a little oil. In my most recent batch (the one in the picture) I threw in some leftover barbecued chicken drumettes after the sausage got brown. Then I added some chopped onion, sliced celery, some chunks of bell pepper, and a big old jalapeno pepper that I had cored, deseeded, and sliced. Nina has been growing some Chinese long beans in the garden...

...so I cut several of them into pieces about two inches long and added them to the pot. We also had half a dozen or so okra that were asking to be cut, so I obliged them and dropped them in along with the beans. Some chopped garlic, dried oregano and thyme, and a little ground cumin seed added to the flavor. Once that stuff started to cook down, I drained a can of diced tomatoes (saving the juice) and added them to the mix. Several minutes later, I poured the juice in, along with a little salt and ground black pepper. The final ingredients are a cup and a half of rice and three cups of water. I brought the concoction to a boil, turned it down to a low heat, and put a lid on it.
    About 30 minutes later, I checked on it. The rice was soft, so I turned it off.  Not long after that, it was on our plates and pleasing our palates.

No comments:

Post a Comment